July 25, 2007

Fiddler on the wall

British violinist Nigel Kennedy is in Palestine and, according to this Ha'aretz interview, he's not impressed with the wall:
"And today, I was really shocked when I saw the wall here. It's a new type of apartheid, barbaric behavior. How can you impose collective punishment and divide people from one another? We are all residents of the same planet. I would think that the world learned something from South Africa. And the world should boycott a nation that didn't learn. That's why I won't perform in your country.

"The concert tonight is very emotional," he adds, "because I am performing for people who are imprisoned, to give them two hours of fun and show them that the world has not forgotten about them."
Sometimes I think that is all that outsiders can offer the Palestinians.

No comments:

Post a Comment